Tips for a Pet Safe Household
1. Be cognizant of the types of plants in your house and yard. Ingestion of certain types can cause gastrointestinal distress or even death.
2. Do not let your pet around cleaning agents or around the storage of the agents.
3. Rat, mouse, ant, roach, snail and slug baits/traps are attractive to your pet. Place them in areas that are not accessible to the pet. Be sure that the previous homeowner does not have any baits stored that you are unaware of.
4. Keep family members prescriptions and OTC medications out of the reach of animals. Some dogs can easily get up on the counter so try to store them in a cabinet.
5. Keep chocolates out of reach! Large quantities of chocolate must be ingested to be toxic however dark chocolate or baking chocolate has a larger amount of cocoa and will be more likely to cause illness.
6. Automobile products are hazardous to pets; such as antifreeze, oil, and gasoline. Keep your garage and driveway cleaned of spilled chemicals.
7. Lawn treatments are to be used with caution. Allow the area to dry completely before allowing the pet to enter the area. Storage of the products should be in areas not frequented by the pet.
8. Many common items throughout the house are dangerous for animalsó pennies, mothballs, potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dishwasher soap, batteries, coffee grounds, chewing gum with Xylitol and alcoholic drinks.